Welcome to the Science Department
The Science Department at Los Altos High School strives to provide a rigorous course of study that inspires an appreciation of the sciences and develops students’ skills for life long learning of science. Each course in our department affects this goal by addressing our school-wide ESLRs in the following ways:
Critical Thinkers who
- Make scientific decisions based on logical reasoning using various methods of investigation, such as observation, comparison, experimentation, and mathematical manipulation of data.
- Understand the role and process of the scientific method in generating theories and conclusions.
Collaborative Learners who
- Acknowledge that science is a community process utilizing the resources and knowledge of the collective to analyze and solve projects of inquiry.
- Work cooperatively with others to collect and evaluate data, research information, and present their findings.
Self-Directed Learners who
- Develop and demonstrate initiative and responsibility in science by successfully completing assigned tasks, exhibiting a strong work ethic, and identifing the value of continuous learning.
- Demonstrate a willingness to re-evaluate existing ideas as a result of new information.
Responsible Individuals who
- Demonstrate personal character by showing respect for people, peers, school and student property, as well as differing opinions and beliefs.
- Practice appropriate and safe behavior in the classroom and laboratory environment.
Knowledgeable Individuals who
- Use the laws, theories, and principles of science as a means of organizing data and information.
- Demonstrate competence and confidence in applying the knowledge, processes, and attitudes of science in making informed decisions.
Effective Communicators who
- Engage in active conversations to discuss scientific concepts, problem solve solutions, and present the results of scientific investigation in the laboratory.
- Seek the appropriate guidance and assistance in solving complex problems.
Community Participants who
- Understand and appreciate the role of science and technology in the 21st Century.
- Consider the ethical, societal, and global implications of scientific advancement.