Transfer Process and Policies

  • Intra-District Transfers (during the Open Enrollment window)

    Information about the MVLA Open Enrollment Process

    (Window has closed for 2018-19)

    The vast majority of our students attend their neighborhood high school. Students are assigned to their home school based on the location of their residence (use the Attendance Street Search to find your home school.)  Special Needs students typically are assigned to the school that houses the program that is best suited to meeting the special needs of the student, irrespective of the location of the student’s residence. Under the district’s Open Enrollment policy, the board annually reviews school capacity  and  determines the  number  of  spaces  available  for  intradistrict transfer. 

    There will be space available at Mountain View High School for students who seek a transfer request through Open Enrollment only from LAHS to MVHS. Los Altos High School has reached capacity, hence we will not be accepting any intradistrict transfer requests to LAHS through Open Enrollment this year.

    Although our Open Enrollment window for transfers from Los Altos High to Mountain View High has closed, there is still space available at MVHS and we will continue to accept requests until MVHS reaches capacity. Families who are interested may use the standard intra-district transfer request form.

    Students and parents interested in an intra-district transfer during open enrollment should complete and submit the 2018-19 Open Enrollment Form (on the right) to Educational Services in the District Office: 1299 Bryant Avenue, just past Mountain View High's student parking lot.

    Intra-District Transfers (year-round)

    While students are expected to attend the school that serves the area in which their residence is located, occasionally, and only under very special circumstances, students are granted an inter- or intra- district transfer request outside of the open-enrollment window.  This include transfers for sibling privilege, senior privilege and for students who move within the MVLA district boundary. 


Transfer Request Forms