MVLA Update - February 5, 2021
Board Meeting Information
The next regular Board meeting is scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2021, via Zoom starting at 7 p.m. The agenda for our Monday meeting can be found here. Topics on the agenda include a Community Police Report and consideration of Board approval of the district Comprehensive Coordinated Early Intervening Services (CCEIS) Plan. A Study Session has been scheduled for Monday, February 8, 2021, at 3:00 p.m. All meeting agendas, recordings, and minutes are available online.
Enrollment Options for 2021-2022 School Year
MVLA offers several enrollment options for students entering their junior and senior years in 2021-2022. These include:
- Freestyle Academy of Communications Arts & Technology - a two-year program dedicated to the communication arts and technology, offering juniors and seniors an opportunity to focus on a specific area of production.
- Foothill Middle College - a magnet program designed for college-bound MVLA juniors and seniors who are seeking an alternative to regular high school with a serious academic focus.
- The College Now! Program - enables qualifying juniors and seniors to start college early and graduate from high school with a year or more of transferable college credits.
Learn more about information nights, application information, and deadlines here.
Health, Wellness, and COVID-19 Webinar
Join us on February 24 at noon for our Health, Wellness, and COVID-19 webinar and learn the latest from experts on local caseloads and positivity rates, vaccines, testing, and mental health resources available to you during the ongoing pandemic. Our panelists will include:
- Nilija Fulambarkar MS, Doctoral Intern, Community Health Awareness Council
- Catherine Nalesnik RN, BSN, CIC, Director of Infection Prevention, El Camino Health
- Cheryl Reinking DNP, RN, NEA-BC, Chief Nursing Officer, El Camino Health
- Renata Sargon MS, MEd, LPC, Doctoral Intern, Community Health Awareness Council
The Santa Clara Valley Athletic League (SCVAL) has created a new three-season sport schedule that began this week. Sports able to begin in this first season include:
- Boys and Girls Cross Country
- Boys and Girls Swimming
- Girls Golf
- Girls Swimming
Students are only able to be part of a single team for now, and are not able to participate in club and high school teams at the same time. Due to the ongoing Stay-at-Home Order, there will be no competitions at this time, although the League is working on logistics related to competitions. The SCVAL Board of Managers is currently stipulating that, when competitions are able to resume, there are not to be any . We will continue to update you as new information becomes available.
- Mercury News - “Prep sports on pause: Bay Area league adopts condensed, three-season model that’ll end May 28”
- Mercury News - “Coronavirus: Santa Clara County prep sports league commissioner defends decision to opt out of postseason”
MVLA is Recruiting for Substitutes
MVLA would like to encourage adults in our community to apply to become substitute employees and help bring back groups of students to be part of “learning hubs”. These employees would work in a supervisory capacity with groups of 14 students in a classroom to monitor students to ensure they are safe and engaged in online classes/distance learning. Learn more about the requirements and application process here. Thank you to those who’ve already stepped up to apply! We appreciate you!
The College Board this week announced changes to Advanced Placement (AP) testing procedures for this year due to the ongoing pandemic, indicating that students will be able to take AP tests this spring at home or in school, during three testing windows.
Last year, AP tests were cut to 45 minutes and delivered online, covering a modified curriculum. This year, the exams will return to their usual length.We will share additional information at a future date.
You’ve likely heard of the Khan Academy, a non-profit organization that provides free courses on a variety of subjects to students around the world. Its founder, Sal Khan, recently partnered with Shishir Mehrota, CEO of Coda, to develop a new platform, schoolhouse.world, for free, small-group tutoring sessions. Schoolhouse.world is currently offering free tutoring in high school math and SAT prep, with plans to other curriculum areas soon. All the small-group tutoring sessions happen over Zoom. Learn more here.