MVLA Update - December 4, 2020
Brown Bag Sessions
MVLA is conducting a series of public forums to share information and receive feedback from students, parents, staff, and the community. Our mid-day Brown Bag Sessions are BYOL (bring your own lunch) information sessions on a variety of topics related to the reopening of MVLA campuses. Register here for any or all of our upcoming sessions:
- Thursday, December 10, 2020 – Reopening Planning Update
- Thursday, December 17, 2020 – Option B Update
- Wednesday, January 6, 2021 – Wellness, Health, and Safety
COVID-19 Testing for staff and students continues to be available on campus. No-cost testing funded by the El Camino Healthcare District is now available for Mountain View Los Altos High School District teachers,staff, and students. Children of staff members* who live or attend school in the area may test as well. Tests are required to be scheduled in advance and appointments for our next test date on December 2nd are filled.
Site-based testing will resume in January, but in the meantime, you may also call 650-940-7022 and select option 4, to schedule your free test at an El Camino location. Please mention you are with the Mountain View Los Altos High School District when calling.
Children who reside or attend school in the El Camino District can also be tested. Please call 650-940-7022 to schedule them. Adult students, including Adult Education students, can also call the number to register themselves and may select an MVLA campus for their appointment.
New directives from Santa Clara Public Health require that a quarantine be put into effect for those who are returning from a county over 150 miles away. If you or your student has traveled this distance over the break, we ask that you self quarantine. Please refer to the county guidance if you have further questions: Santa Clara Public Health directives
This year, MVLA created a new program called "Option B" specifically for students and families during this COVID-19 pandemic. Here are some of the key points about this option:
- It is a semester-long online independent study education program, in which students remain in remote learning regardless if the site high schools return in-person.
- It was developed for students and families who are at high-risk for health or have schedule difficulties because of changes caused by the pandemic. However, families and students have enrolled into Option B for various other reasons and needs.
- Option B is completely asynchronous learning in an independent study format. Students interested in enrolling in Option B need to have a level of self-discipline and motivation that supports themselves in working in their classes with no-to minimal accountability and check-ins.
- To enroll in Option B, students must disenroll from their classes at the site high school; this includes music classes, Freestyle, journalism/newspaper, AVID, etc.
We are starting communications and sign-ups for students/families who are interested in participating in Option B for the 2nd semester. If you are interested, please read through the following documents to provide a deeper understanding.
Teri Faught, the District's Distance Learning Administrator overseeing Option B, will be holding info/Q&A meetings on the following dates:
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020, at 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 8, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 9, 2020, at 11:00 a.m. (for students)
- Thursday, December 10, 2020, at 11:00 a.m.
If you plan on attending an info meeting, please RSVP here.
Lastly, if you would like to communicate your choice to enroll your student in Option B, please fill out this form.