March 1, 2021 Message from the Superintendent
Dear MVLA staff, students, and families,
As we shared in last week’s MVLA Magazine, our goal in this first phase of implementation of the Stable Learning Groups model is to provide a learning environment for students to comfortably and safely participate in their classes (via Zoom) while supporting students with social interactions during lunchtime and breaks. This is our first step towards a full return, and we are committed to a safe, sustainable, and progressive process. Students have until noon on Thursday, March 4, 2021, to sign up for our initial phase of the Student Learning Hub model.
In addition, there have been some significant events that are bringing us closer to reopening our campuses. These include:
- Today’s approval of Assembly Bill 86, a $6.6 billion state budget package to accelerate the safe return to in-person instruction across California
- Approval of and funding for our Stable Learning Group format
- Anticipated change from the Purple Tier to the Red Tier for Santa Clara County
- Productive negotiations with our labor groups
- Inclusion of local education employees in eligibility for COVID-19 vaccines
- Fine-tuning classroom layouts to support social distancing in concert with the number of students signing-up for Stable Learning Groups
- Submittal of the Specific Safety Review required by the California Department of Public Health, pending confirmation of a return-to-school date
As we begin the phased-in implementation of our Stable Learning Group plan, it is important to note it is in alignment with and would be supported by the state’s proposed agreement. Under the agreement, school districts will be eligible for funds for both reopening support and extended learning opportunities.
Negotiations with our teacher’s union, the District Teachers’ Association (DTA), have been productive, and we continue to make significant progress. We will provide an update when an agreement is in place. We will also provide further information as we learn more about the state’s proposal and its impact on MVLA’s reopening plan.
Here are some resources related to the planned implementation:
- Frequently-Asked Questions
- Stable Learning Groups (February 8, 2021, Special Study Session) - Presentation | Recording (at approximately 1:09:26)
- Pandemic Staffing & Safety Plan (February 8, 2021, Special Study Session) - Presentation | Recording (at approximately 04:25)
- Pandemic Staffing & Safety Plan Funding Approval (February 8, 2021 Board Meeting - Presentation | Recording (at approximately 1:28:57)
- Feedback from Student Return Survey (February 8, 2021, Special Study Session) - Presentation | Recording (at approximately 1:31:00)
Mountain View Los Altos Union High School District