- Communications & Information
- MVLA Update - October 23, 2020
- MVLA Update - October 9, 2020
- MVLA Update - October 1, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 25, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 11, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 5, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 29, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 21, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 14, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 7, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 31, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 24, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 17. 2020
- MVLA Update - July 13, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 3, 2020
- MVLA Update - June 27, 2020
MVLA Update - July 24, 2020
Dear MVLA Community,
We hope this message finds you healthy and enjoying the summer. Please find our latest update on our progress as we continue to prepare for the Fall of 2020 below.
Mountain View Los Altos High School District
Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees will next meet on July 27, 2020 for a Special Board Meeting. We will have a Reopening Update presentation that will include information on parent options and student schedules. Topics under consideration for approval by the Board include the Award of Bid for the Stadium Lights and PA System Projects at MVHS and LAHS, and the final Environmental Impact Report (EIR) and Findings for MVHS and LAHS Stadium Lights Projects. You may view the board agenda here.
Students will virtually return August 12, 2020, with three days of Distance Learning preparation. These three days will be used for mandatory virtual training for Distance Learning, virtual orientation activities, virtual community-building activities, and safeguarded technology/book check-outs.
Scheduled classes with teachers will begin August 17th. A full online distance learning option provided by an outside content provider will also be available for those students who do not wish to return for the entire first semester due to health or family concerns.
Option A and Option B for Fall 2020-2021
Parents will be able to choose Option A or Option B for the Fall return. Option A will include MVLA teacher-led and teacher-created lessons. Option B will include curriculum provided by a content provider. Below you will find a chart that will assist you with information as you make that choice. The window for selection of an option will be from July 27-August 17.
Frequently Asked Questions
We have compiled some frequently asked questions for your reference. Please check back often as we will have additional editions of our FAQs on our website.
You can find the FAQs here: Distance Learning FAQ
State Monies for COVID
The state is providing support under the umbrella term of Learning Loss Mitigation Funds to help support students and staff during COVID-19. The bulk of the funding comes from the Federal CARES Act, which is passed through the state to local districts. The funds are intended to be spent on the following:
- Student learning supports
- General measures that extend instructional time for students
- Provide additional core academic support for students who need it
- Provide integrated services that support teaching and learning—such as student and staff technology needs, mental health services, staff professional development, and student nutrition
The final allocation amounts have not been determined just yet, but School Services of California estimates MVLA will receive just over $2.1 million in these funds.
This is in addition to the $73,000 MVLA received in the spring from Senate Bill 117.
Summer Construction Projects
The classroom projects at both MVHS and LAHS continue to move forward as scheduled. Additional framing is going up, giving more shape to the buildings and providing a tangible view of what the completed buildings will look like.
Plans are being submitted in August for the Student Services Buildings at both campuses, and the new Freestyle building - which are the next big set of projects.
Summer modernization work is partially complete. Projects include:
- Relocation of five modular classrooms from MVHS to behind the District Office to accommodate potential program expansion.
- HVAC replacement and reroofing at the MVHS Science wing
- Seismic strengthening of the 200 and 300 wings at MVHS. This is in preparation of partial demolition of portions of these wings to make room for the new Student Services Building.
- MVHS 200 wing restroom renovation
- Reroofing and fire alarm projects at the District Office
- Interior and exterior painting projects at MVHS and LAHS
For more information, please visit our website at www.mvla.net