- Communications & Information
- MVLA Update - February 5, 2021
- MVLA Update - January 22, 2021
- MVLA Update - January 9, 2021
- MVLA Update - December 11, 2020
- MVLA Update - December 4, 2020
- MVLA Update - November 19, 2020
- MVLA Update - November 17, 2020
- MVLA Update - November 13, 2020
- MVLA Update - November 6, 2020
- MVLA Update - October 23, 2020
- MVLA Update - October 9, 2020
- MVLA Update - October 1, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 25, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 11, 2020
- MVLA Update - September 5, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 29, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 21, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 14, 2020
- MVLA Update - August 7, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 31, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 24, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 17. 2020
- MVLA Update - July 13, 2020
- MVLA Update - July 3, 2020
- MVLA Update - June 27, 2020
MVLA Update - August 7, 2020
We will have a board meeting August 10, 2020, at 7 p.m. Topics will include a Fall 2020 Reopening Update, and a recommendation on the duration of distance learning through the end of First Quarter. Our new student representatives, Riley Capuano (Los Altos High School), and Erin Coyne (Mountain View High School), will be welcomed and sworn in. You can find the agenda for Monday’s meeting here.
We are excited to support our students in getting reading for the new school year. On August 12th, 13th, and 14th, students will be receiving online self-paced tutorials that help prepare them for the upcoming school year.
- On August 12th, students will receive an online tutorial that guides them through the MVLA new Learning Management System, Canvas. The tutorial includes how to sign into Canvas, managing the settings and profile, navigating around the dashboard, how to access a class, and open up an assignment. This will support students with feeling comfortable and competent in getting started with Canvas. Parents will also have access to a parent Canvas tutorial - this will be released next week.
- On August 13th, students will receive an online tutorial that supports their social-emotional learning. This includes an overview of what social-emotional learning is, how to access mental health services, and tips on self-care for starting off the year.
- On August 14th, students will receive an online tutorial that gives them an overview of this year's schedule, the understanding of synchronous and asynchronous learning, how to use the Weekly Slate, the importance of establishing a routine and tips for doing so, grading, and live class norms.
For Fall 2020, MVLA is reopening with two learning options for students: Option A will provide distance learning with regular teachers at your resident school - featuring a rich, robust curriculum with classes of students and MVLA direct instruction. Option B will provide a full semester to full school year option that will use an online learning platform that provides a self-paced, consistent remote learning experience with content that meets University of California A-G requirements. Election forms for Option B will be accepted until August 17. (No action is required to select Option A-students are enrolled automatically.) Helpful resources such as the Option A/B comparison chart and the Reopening FAQs are on the MVLA website.
The Physical Education departments are planning innovative ways to teach in a virtual manner this fall by developing ways to promote physical activity through the use of fitness apps and online tools. Teachers will begin the year with team building and setting expectations for PE via Zoom or other live conferencing platforms.
The District is pleased to be collaborating with a group of MVLA students to coordinate a series of student-facilitated webinars featuring teachers, counselors, and administrators as panelists to answer students' questions about the reopening of schools. The planning, led by members of the Mountain View High School Conversation Club as well as students from Los Altos High School, includes a survey - developed for students by students - to list and prioritize questions and concerns and sign up for upcoming webinars. Additional information is provided in the following flyers:
- Educational equity and grading
- Social activities/connecting with classmates
- Clubs and extracurricular activities
- Mental health and wellness
- Attendance taking
MVLA meal distribution for the 2020/21 school year will begin Monday, August 17. Meals will be distributed at both MVHS and LAHS. Any MVLA student can go to either location - it does not have to be the student's assigned school.
MVLA teachers have dedicated much of their summer preparing for the new school year. They have taken advantage of numerous district professional learning options as well as exploring opportunities provided by local universities and professional organizations. We had over 230 teachers participate in Canvas training, which is our new learning management system for the students. Most of our teachers met with course team members this summer to collaborate with. Over 30 teachers participated in AP training and the AVID Digital XP conference.
On August 6th and 7th, MVLA held our New Teacher Orientation virtually via Zoom. A great amount of appreciation is owed to our IST team, Tim Farrell, Marcey Winawer, Megan Sibley and Paige Price, for preparing a wonderfully engaging agenda and supporting our new teachers as they start in MVLA during this most unique time. Twenty new teachers met with representatives from the District Office, Foundation and Leaders at their respective sites. The focus of the two days was centered around Distance Learning and new teachers were provided opportunities to familiarize themselves with MVLA processes and structure, one another and were able to engage in professional development with a strong focus on Synchronous and Asynchronous instruction. For a list of all new MLVA staff please read the district news article here.